The photograph at the top of this page is a partial picture of our Children's Center as Salem Evangelical Church. How God raised this building into existence with its completion in January of 2010 is a miracle of divine proportions. On another page under how to build buildings in a recession I will share with you how God is not restricted during economic downturns and what you can do to be a part of His divine intervention in your setting!
"Acorns to Oaks" comes from the passage in Isaiah 61:1-10 where God talks about His plan to rebuild Israel into mighty oaks of righteousness. The Lord impressed upon me that is what we are to be doing with our children. This passage began as a theme to begin a new year in our church and quickly took on a life of its own becoming the theme for our building campaign and now is our theme throughout our children's ministries. One day I shared with our congregation a "21 by 21" plan for our children. They read as follows:
1. To love God with all their heart mind soul and strength.
2. To love others...all people groups.
3. To love the Word of God.
4. To love the church.
5. To love Christian service.
6. To love worshiping God with one's entire being.
7. To seek a calling of ministry from God.
8. To love and obey parents.
9. To have integrity and be honest.
10. To focus on studies and spiritual development.
11. To practice Philippians 4:8 pertaining to all forms of entertainment and technology.
12. Develop a good work ethic.
13. To have high moral standards which will include:
a. Life is sacred and begins at conception. Abortion is not an option.
b. Drinking alcohol is a slippery slope. It hurts more than it helps. Complete abstinence.
c. Gambling is a slippery slope. It hurts more than it helps. Complete abstinence.
d. Cussing hinders all relationships. It never edifies relationships. A pure mouth.
e. Any form of pornography strictly forbidden.
f. Dancing is a slippery slope. It stimulates towards sexual temptation. Complete abstinence.
g. Sexual purity until marriage.
14. To have a strong belief of a literal heaven and a literal hell
15. To support missionaries and mission work for God.
16. To be soul winners.
17. To be filled with the Holy Spirit.
18. To prize Christian unity...one body, one spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith. one baptism, one God.
19. To be a generous giver.
20. To help the poor.
21. To be a follower of Jesus Christ.
*21 by 21!
I Timothy 4:12..."Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe."